1 tsp. red chili flakes (Korean gochugaru has no seeds)
1/4 cup apple-cider or white vinegar
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and sputter 5-spice seeds, cinnamon and cardamom until aromatic.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes break down.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for half an hour.
- Adjust sweetness to taste.
- The chutney is ready when all liquid evaporates.
- Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator before serving.